Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I remember standing in my CEO's office looking south at the towers from 21st and B'way. The North Tower looked like a giant had taken a bite out of it. My mind could not process the image; it looked like a movie to me. "This could not be real." All the others in the office had already gone when I saw the first tower fall. It happened so fast. I had to sit from the shock and was numb with sadness. "So many people and a couple friends in there." When the second tower fell it was like being kicked in gut once you were all ready down from a previous blow. The next few days are a bit of a blur with most of us in the city numb. Union Square became a central gathering point for desperate family members searching for love ones. Several times I was approached by them clutching to photos of their loved ones asking me, "Have you seen this person?" I cried a lot that week. In honor of those who died I say a prayer today. I will not forget you. As for my friends, they made it out alive with gruesome tales of carnage. They were very lucky. Be safe and God Bless you all.

No comments: